The HUB Halifax at a Crossroads

For Immediate Release January 20, 2014 Halifax, NS The HUB Halifax at a Crossroads: Business Incubator and Community Hub Searching for Sustainable Model  The Hub Halifax announced today that it will be closing its 1673 Barrington Street office at the end of January, ending a five year chapter in the community and business hub’s history. As of February 1st, a core group of members have arranged to move down the street to the second floor of the Vogue Building, signing on to the space for up to a year. Facing the end of their lease at Barrington, Hub co-founders Joanne Macrae and Tracy Boyer spent the last 16 months exploring options for moving forward, in close consultation with members about how to best adapt or move The Hub.  The business is one of many similar, shared working spaces that have popped across the world over the last decade, all geared […]

Hub Members Uganda Venture launch fundraising campaign to bring electricity to a Ugandan village

LightsForLight_PPT

Hub Halifax members Uganda Venture have launched a fundraising campaign to bring electricity to the village of Tabiro, Uganda. The campaign launched on Friday and is called Lights for Light (lightsforlight.ca). The organization is seeking 3000 generous individuals to donate $10 each, in order to raise the necessary $30 000 required to complete the project.  That amount will be added to the contribution from the Ugandan government, who have committed to paying 70% of the cost with the condition that the village of Tabiro provides the remaining 30%. The managing director of Uganda Venture (who works out of the Hub) is Fadi Al Qassar and he explains that the organization is very excited by the prospect of bringing electricity to the village: “When we first started working in Tabiro the community flagged electricity as a crucial need. We encouraged them to apply to get access to electricity; our job in this process […]

The Forbidden Education

educacion-prohibida-pelicula-documental-L-Lt8mvO

Screening at The Hub Halifax! This independent documentary was released in 2012 in Argentina. The film documents diverse alternative education practices and unconventional schools in Latin America and Spain. It has been screened in more than 30 countries and now, for the first time in Canada, The Forbidden Education will be screened at The Hub Halifax. Education has always been an area of discussion all around the world and in this moment we are in a stage of finding alternative ways of changing the world, of making it a better place for all. For achieving these goals we as human beings need to be creating, to face challenges, to develop skills, but is education in schools helping us to do this? Are we being asked how do we feel? What do we think? What do we want to do? and also… What about peace? As one of the interviewed teachers […]